- As the summer solstice approaches, Oscar Wilde’s work is currently in vogue big time and is in the midst of a deserved major revival in contemporary theatre and on film!
- Next month a film The Happy Prince, will be released, a passion project for actor Rupert Everett for over a decade and reflected on BBC1’s Imagine on Sunday night.
- We should surely also remember the winter solstice, a time when the moon is of central importance and which plays a significant part in Wilde’s work.
- It certainly is in his play Salome, which Al Pacino turned into a superb film in which Jessica Chastain gave a tour de force performance in the tragic central role.
- However, many are not used to thinking of Wilde as a poet, which is a shame as he was a very fine poet.
- The moon often makes its appearance in his eloquent verses.
As an example why not take a look at his poem Endymion, subtitled (to Music)?